Adventures in Crazy Part I

Oct
2011
adventuresincrazy

My first boyfriend deceived me in a cruel and disgusting way. It was really terrible. So much so that very few people even know the story. Even now, over a decade and a half later, my face gets hot with anger every time I think about it. And though I've come a long way, I doubt that I will ever completely forgive him for it.

When I discovered what he’d done to me, I was angry. Probably the angriest I’ve ever been in my life. Night after night I would sit in my room with Mary J on repeat, tears of rage streaming down my face. I wanted to get him. Maim him, strangle him, castrate him. Do something to make him hurt. I was bubbling over with crazy anger every waking minute and one day when I couldn’t take it anymore, I went to the kitchen and threw all the fridge magnets across the room. Then I picked them back up and replaced them exactly where they were so my mum wouldn’t know what I had done.

It doesn’t sound like much, but that’s the craziest I’ve ever been in my life.

Those of you who have e-known me for a while may have heard the story of a time a few years ago when I was out with my longtime unboyfriend. We were with a group of friends at a club we went to every week and knew probably at least 90% of the people there. This includes one of his side girls who was also there that night. So there was quite an audience of people who knew us to witness it when he proceeded to get in a screaming argument with the side girl. About me. In front of all our friends.

For the first two minutes of their performance I stood there frozen and watched them, just as everyone else did. Then I slowly became aware of the fact that heads were swinging from their argument to me for a reaction shot. And when it hit me how beyond humiliating the situation was, I calmly left the party. I got in our car, drove around the corner to a coffee shop, and sent him a text: let me know when you’re done fighting with your girl and I’ll come back and get you.

When I went to pick him up he was standing in the street with a few of his boys. By the way they all looked nervously over at me I knew they were counselling him on what to do when he had to face me alone. One of them was telling him to go in apologizing and never stop apologizing. Another was telling him to admit nothing and deny everything. The third told him to immediately hug me and not let go until I calmed down. They all told him to text them and let them know he got home okay – they were worried he wouldn’t.

They needn’t have bothered worrying about his well-being though. When he got in the car all I did was look at him sideways and ask “are you proud of yourself?”. And after he pitifully admitted that he wasn’t, I let him know how mortifying that situation was for me and asked that in the future he be more discreet with his lovers quarrels. That’s about it.

If you subscribe to the theory that anyone is ever entitled to go apeshit, I think those two situations warranted it. But I’m just not wired that way. Maybe my prideful mother – who raised me to never ever let a man think I loved him more than he loved me – is to blame for this. Maybe it’s my innate secretive nature. Maybe it’s just a character flaw. Whatever the reason, I lack the ability to let loose and show my crazy.

I could go on and on with stories of egregious acts committed against me where I just took it on the chin and kept my cool. I’ve always been able to smile and laugh with people who people who have hurt or wronged me.  That’s just the kind of person I’ve always been. I don’t like to let people know they’ve hurt me.

It’s not that I don’t feel things. I definitely do. I get pangs of jealousy and possessiveness just like women do. But for one thing, my innate sense of fairness prevents me from freaking out over my irrational reaction to a rational act. And for another, going crazy over a man I care about is a level of vulnerability I am not capable of. Or at least I never used to be capable of it.

As I get older a little bit of crazy is beginning to seep between the cracks of my unflappable facade. Whereas the old me would remove myself from a situation when I began to feel crazy, the new me wants to run head first into them. The old me would never dream of telling a man I wanted him all to myself, no matter how strongly I felt it. The new me might say it with a laugh, but I’m saying it. And if that makes me a little bit crazy I don’t care.

What I’ve realized from dipping my toes in the waters of mildly crazy behaviour is that people need to see this shit sometimes. In all my past relationships I’ve been accused of being remote; detached. I’ve given the impression that I’m not bothered by anything; that the actions of the men I’ve been involved with don’t mean shit to me. That I’m unaffected by whatever they do. None of that is true, but that’s the impression that my “butter wouldn’t melt in my mouth” demeanor gave.

I’ve always been of the opinion that sane, grown, rational people shouldn’t need to see extreme behaviour to know they matter. That a continual presence and a commitment to making things work shows more love than the busted windows of a car. But relationships are messy – sanity, maturity, and rationality aren’t exactly ruling the day when it comes to the way men and women interact. The ability to keep your game face on when someone hurts you serves you well when it comes to preserving your pride, but if you’re at the point where you care about someone enough to be driven crazy by them, maybe you should care about them enough to let them see a little bit of your crazy.

That’s what I’m thinking these days, what say you guys? Do you think there’s a benefit to behaving a little nutty for the one you love or is it better to keep a stiff upper lip at all times? Where are you on the crazy scale? Speak on it in the comments.

• TJ says:

I understand what you’re saying, a few years ago I would probably fly off the handle at every egregious act. Now I calmly (most times) address the situation and walk away. I’ve been doing my best to rein in my crazy and I find that walking away preserves my sanity and people’s lives lol.

• nectar-imperial says:

If you don’t show your crazy then it cannot be used as a deterrent for possible future bad decisions…

• max says:

This is real talk and argument enough in favour of showing crazy.

When a man does a woman wrong and she doesn’t go apeshit on his ass, he adds that to his “things I can get away with” list and not only will he do it again, he’ll continue to push the boundaries until he finds the one thing he can do that will make her go Bernadine on his ass.

• ncvirgogal says:

I’m emotional…a bit irrational…and I’m a drama queen (overreacting). I haven’t gone Bernadine on anyone but I think I could get there if someone (more than likely-a man) pushed the right buttons. Maybe it’s one of those things that gets better with age and life experience.

• BP says:

I believe in showing a man a little bit of crazy. It just is necessary at times. #thatisall

• RP14 says:

I agree…I am working on showing my crazy.

I realized a long time ago, that you have to “stop” at crazy, don’t “live” there!

I know from the men in my family, all of their wives show their crazy a little!!

• LaLaBakir says:

It depends on the guy…or hell the person. Sometimes you just have to break fly on people so they know for future reference what they are really working with *shrugs*

• keona says:

I’m emotional & irrational. But guys rarely see that side of me. I let myself lose control for one relationship that drove me insane, and I can’t seem to muster up enough crazy for anyone else. I don’t like myself much when I lose control long enough for other people to judge me.

But I also think that in the right situation, whatever crazy I have left will show her face. I just haven’t been as emotionally invested as of late.

• Tele Kendall says:

My ex bf called me an emotionless robot recently. Always told I was not “passionate” about our relationship. But I went to all of his military events, made monthly trips to see him, bailed him out of jail (a warrant for a fuckin unpaid ticket that i had already given him money for), etc. But I wasn’t passionate? Apparently b/c I don’t yell and scream and am more chill in my approach to life I wasn’t passionate.
    When I finally did go off. . . he was confused and kept asking me was I ok and he didn’t like this side of me.
    But I have always told people “I am too lazy to be crazy.” Being crazy takes more effort than I am willing to put forward.

• chunk says:

This is so interesting to me. I have had a certifiably you-can-kill-him-and-get-away-with-it kind of year.

But I just can’t get there. I keep waiting for that kind of rage to finally come bursting through at full speed… and am almost scared of where I will be when/if it does. I’ve been that gurl who goes apeshit… but I was much younger than I am now.

Now, crazy for me is something else entirely… it’s like an internal hurricane, but my face is so calm.

It scares me more than the thought of going apeshit… in fact sometimes I wish I could find the gall to just go outwardly crazy and get it over with.

• “I could go on and on with stories of egregious acts committed against me where I just took it on the chin and kept my cool.”

wait i thought you didn’t like it anywhere near your face. oh never mind.

• NicknotNikki says:

I’ve been crazy… The kind of crazy that needs multiple “z”.. I realize that I went crazy when I wasn’t communicating, and I was the powder keg that would explode..
    Kicking in taillights, writing on his car, slashing her clothes (long story).. Him getting slapped, me punching him..
    That’s pretty much the worst of it..

I’m on the fence about this.. As I’ve gotten older I’m at the point where I look at things logically.. The more I keep my emotions out of it, the less likely I’ll have something to apologize for later..
    But that’s just me….

• Krystal light says:

I think the amount of crazy that could be shown would depend on how long you’ve been together. At six months, that relationship isn’t strong enough to endure a crazy episode. Six years though? Go all out. I’ve got crazy in my blood. I’ve never had to show my crazy with my hubs but he believes it’s there and that’s all I really need to accomplish. It’s nowhere near as bad as he thinks though.

• Teflon Mom says:

I never thought of myself as being particularly crazy. I cop to “eccentric”. But my husband thinks I’m kinda unhinged. He’s the only person I’d become crazy for though. Really, in past dealings with men when the guy did something disrespectul/stupid/embarassing my reaction was to detach immediately. Don’t look at me like I’m bout to do something. N**ga I don’t even LIKE you that much.

My girl is good for some “ignorant in public” moments though. I’d just melt into the crowd that would inevitably gather and wait for the storm to be over, or get the car and wait with the engine running. I was the Good Hood Getaway Driver for years.

• Miss White says:

I say…I’m a crazy bitch and I own it! I definitely think that when you allow someone to see your crazy it means you care for them deeply and can bare your true self to them. Even the ugly, crazy side.

• Woah this blog is fantastic i really like reading your articles. Keep up the good work! You recognize, many persons are looking round for this info, you can aid them greatly.