She’s Never Satisfied

Sep
2011
never-satisfied

Way back when Purple Rain came out, my sisters and I went apeshit over the song When Doves Cry. I remember a day when the three of us were pissed at our mum for something, and we all crowded together in my older sisters room to bitch about it. My sister Marisa put on her Purple Rain LP and we started singing. And when we got to the line "maybe I'm just like my mother/she's never satisfied" we screamed it at the top of our lungs. We did this over and over until Mummy burst through the door and slapped the needle off the record and told us off. She knew we were singing about her and she was not happy.

Although it’s pretty much a forgone conclusion that women grow up to turn into their mothers, I’ve spent my life doing my best to make sure I don’t turn into mine. And for the most part I’ve succeeded; my life now is wildly different from what hers was like when she was my age. We have completely different viewpoints on just about everything. This isn’t always a good thing, but that’s the pathology of being a daughter I guess – you do your damnedest to make sure you don’t end up like your mother, even when it’s to your detriment. And then one day you realize that you’re never satisfied, just like her.

I didn’t realize this about myself until recently. Up until a few weeks ago I considered myself the type of person for whom life is a bit harder than it is for everyone else. I’d long since accepted the fact that I’m not the person who gets what she wants. I considered myself the kind of person who can make do with what she has and learn to be happy about it. What I realize now is that it’s not that I don’t get what I want, it’s that I never stop wanting.

A few weeks after I started my first job after moving to Toronto, I started to want something else. I worked for a conference call company and my job was to make reservations for calls (back when having a conference call actually required human intervention). My desk faced the “bridgeroom” where the operators were running around like madwomen with headsets on, joining people to calls and linking bridges and screaming things I couldn’t understand. Compared to my calm little job of sitting at my desk asking people “how many participants will be joining you?” and “do you require an email confirmation of your reservation?”, it looked like the most exciting job ever and I said to myself, I wanna do that.

I didn’t take any steps to make it happen. I just continued to sit at my desk asking the same ten questions over and over while watching the flurry of activity in the bridgeroom and gnashing my teeth wishing it was me. But after a month or so of this, the bridgeroom manager asked me if I’d like to try being an operator and a couple of days after that I was one.

Fast forward a few weeks and I’m back to gnashing my teeth all over again. Because while being an operator was cool, I was looking around me at the senior operators running calls with hundreds of people, linking multiple bridges together and snatching desks and equipment from other people because their conferences were more important and I started to want that. And even though it normally takes a year to become a senior operator, about three months later I was one.

The story continues along the same vein. For the three years or so that I worked at that company, I would move up the ranks, be satisfied where I was for a couple of weeks and then start to want something else. And sooner or later I’d get it. Until I got well and truly sick of the place and then magically got downsized and left with a smile on my face and a fat severance package.

This is a pretty typical story for me. When I started this blog two years ago, I set goals for my first year. I didn’t really do anything to make them happen, but one by one they all came to pass. It’s just what life is like for me. I get what I want eventually, whether I work toward it or not.

The interesting thing about this is that, although I am very familiar with the feeling of wanting something really badly and actually getting it, I’m completley unfamiliar with the feeling of being satisfied with what I have. Because about fifteen minutes after I get what I want, I start to want something else. Whether it’s my job or this blog or my hair or my new winter jacket. No matter if it’s my latest pair of shoes or my birthday haul or the state of my abs. No matter what I get in life, no matter how it comes to me, I’m happy about it for about 15 minutes before I start to want something else, something more.

I’ve always considered in the inability to be satisfied to be a pretty abhorrent quality. God knows I spent enough time disdaining my mother for being like that. But now that I know it to be true about myself I start to wonder whether this is really a bad thing. Sure it’s frustrating for the people who are trying to make you happy to know that it’s nearly impossible for that to happen, but beyond that? I don’t know. Is there something wrong with always wanting more for yourself? Is it a crime to be constantly looking for the next step, constantly raising the bar on what you want for yourself? Is there a zen in accepting what we have and being happy with it that people like me miss out on? I don’t know. I wouldn’t know, because I am never satisfied.

So I put it to you, dear readers. Are you satisfied with what you have in life? Have you ever been or do you think you ever will be? Is yearning for more just human nature, or does it say something about people like me? Speak your piece on it in the comments.

• muzakchica says:

Hey–I’m a longtime lurker. This is my first time commenting (I think).

I don’t think it’s wrong to continue to want to experience new things. In fact, I think that’s what life is all about. It’s possible that you may be using the word “satisfaction” in some instances when you really mean “complacency.” Complacency is something I fear. Because of this fear, I tend to always be pondering my next step as well.

What I’ve learned is, I think, a happy medium. I try to experience every current state of my life to the fullest while I’m in it. Try to be involved. Work hard/play hard. Try to do everything I want to do, even if it means doing it alone. I don’t think that makes me insatiable–I just think it’s a practical way to gather up all of the experiences I can. To be accepting and happy with my current life so that I’m prepared to see and grab every opportunity that presents itself. And so I can move on to the next step knowing I’m ready for it.

• BP says:

I am content but not satisfied with where I am in life. Now, I know that this seems like redundancy to many but I really feel like the two are different. I am content knowing that I am doing the best I possibly can in life but I definitely want more than I have: I want to be a home owner very soon, I would love to lose another __ pounds, if I could finish grad school by ___ life would be bliss. With all of that being said…I strive to be appreciative/satisfied with what I do have because I am blessed and everyday I try to remind myself just that even if I feel like I am LYING to myself .

Good post Maxie.

• RP14 says:

This is actually pretty uncanny…I was having a similar conversation with a friend, and realized that I’m never satisfied for long.

Now that I have the job/career that I want with a great organization. I have turned the attention that was reserved for job hunting the past 4 years…to my dating life!

This is going to be interesting, because while I was doing everything else I didn’t always take the time to really look at this whole dating thing. It was just kind of there, and things happened but nothing leading to my next goal…

• Malik says:

I am a simple man of simple pleasures. I do things for amusement, but I could live without.

• TJ says:

I believe I’m like you Max. I am happy with something for a little while, but when I want more I pursue viciously. Often things/opportunities seems to fall into my lap. I just began working for the city (NYC) and I’m still feeling out the job, determining if I want to make this a career/go to grad school, but trust I’m on a quest for world domination so once I make a decision I’m Taking Over!!!

• Keona says:

I’m afraid that the moment I become “satisfied” is the moment I stop evolving. I’m afraid of complacency. I get bored easily, and I have to keep challenging myself to keep from participating in self-destructive activities. I also consider my family & community at home who’ve always had such high expectations of me: I’m terrified of letting them down.

I’ve also noticed that in the moments that I am temporarily satified, I’m overwhelmed by the fear that I can’t hold on to it for long. Nothing (good or bad) lasts forever, and fear oftentimes won’t let me enjoy the good things so I actively look for change rather than letting it sneak up on me. This may be one of my greatest character flaws, but admitting is the first step.

If I ever do the marriage/family thing, I believe this fear of complancency will somewhat subside. I can’t imagine anything I’ve ever experienced thus far being more challenging than falling in love & raising a family.

• I too an never satisfied. I just always believe I can be better and because I can be better, things can be better. Ask me what I want… what would make me happy and I’ll tell you: “More.”

• Funms says:

I can relate to this post…..I used to always want more….i still do but now i take some time to actual enjoy the present and smell the roses i planted before taking on the next hurdle

• ooh ok... says:

Satisfaction Guaranteed….meh..maybe in 10yrs lol!
    Im just getting over being content w/ life, but I think thats just a trap :-/
    Look and Strive for more! You only got one life (hereatleast).

• Miss White says:

Good post! I think never being satisfied is a bad thing but being ambitious is not! If you never take the time to be grateful for what you do have, then I think it’s harder to be appreciative of things to come. Just because you don’t have to work as hard as the next person, doesn’t make you unsatisfied. It just makes you a go-getter without even knowing it! I need to drink some of that Max juice if you gettin’ it that easy girl!

• Shelly Nairn says:

Good post Maxine.

• Bumblebee_C says:

I have this thing about being satisfied… That it will never happen. Because I know there is something better around the corner, I go and achieve or attain what ever that may be, then I have to find the next project, job, FWB, etc.

Do I think that there is something wrong with this… absolutely not. Some people are content after a while. And that’s fine. Others will never be content because its just in their nature to want something more. I think its about discovery. Well at least I feel that way. Someone told me the other day, maybe I am OCD about my career and school. I told them to kiss my ass, but after I calmed down, I simply told them, its just my nature to move to the next situation. And that song When Doves Cry is my daily at work to keep me motivated song.