Top 10 Honky Hits

keith_richards

Okay first of all, please don’t get offended by my use of the word “honky”. It’s a stupid word but it goes better with hits than “Caucasian”. Is that settled? Okay good.

So you guys know that I grew up in an uber-WASPy city, right? And growing up I did not listen to hip hop at all. Now that I’m grown I immerse myself in the holy trinity of hip hop, R&B, and reggae (with soca thrown in at Caribana time) but every now and again I have to let my inner White girl out and break out the air guitar. And when I do, these are the songs I rock out to.

2. Stairway to Heaven – Led Zeppelin

This was always the last song at my high school dances, and so it “moves” me…even though it is not really a romantic song at all.

4. Castles Made of Sand – Jimi Hendrix

This song…is a fucking classic. Classic. And the lyrics are so sad. They touch me.

5. Iris – Goo Goo Dolls

It’s a little trite, but you can’t not love this song. You just can’t.

6. Everlong – Foo Fighters

This to me is the single best example of the greatness of the honky hit. It’s loud but it’s soft and the lyrics just rip your guts out. If you listen to only one song in this post, it should be this one.

1. Ball and Chain – Janis Joplin

I talked about this song extensively on my lovah Lala’s blog. This is the ultimate “that man did me wrong and let me wallow in my misery for a minute” song. Ultimate.

6. LA Woman – The Doors

I always put this on when I’m feeling unfocused. Something about the beat gets me in a zone of intention and productivity.

7. Easy Silence – Dixie Chicks

Blame my years spent in the high school choir, but the harmony on this song just gets me. And it’s a beautiful sentiment.

8. Patience – Guns N Roses

GNR has a lot of epic songs, but this is my favourite. I think it’s the whistling.

10. Black Hole Sun – Soundgarden

I can’t really tell you why I love this song so much, but I do. I listen to it every morning.

11. Alive – Pearl Jam

I was really torn between this and Jeremy because they’re both fucking great, if somewhat obvious songs. But this is the one I sing in the shower most often so it wins for that.

Those are my favourites – what about you guys? Do you have a favourite honky hit? Share with me in the comments.

1. ~maroon 5- she will be loved (off of the songs about jane album). i know every word to this album. i was at a conference a couple years back in newport, rhode island and some classmates and i were at a bar. they had some live singers and our table started singing along to this song. all the white ppl were in shock because we knew the words. *shrug*

~all american rejects- it ends tonight my brother put me on them and i’m thankful for it.

~fall out boy- headfirst slide into cooperstown. another group my brother put me on. i love this track. well this whole album as well.

1. Melissa says:

I love ‘it ends tonight.’ sad and beautiful.
      “Your subtleties, they strangle me, I can’t explain myself at all”

Even if it reminds me of the 3rd season of laguna beach. Lol.

2. Flyy says:

You grew up super white? So did I!! This draws me closer to you than ever Maxie. I mean I was like one of 5 lil colored children graduating from elementary school…

#Ennehwaysdoe I thought I was going to absolutely adore your list BUT i don’t know any of those songs. Lol. I guess I’m going to have to youtube some stuff. My parents even though in #allwhiteeverything neighborhood kept me grounded w/ MoTown and Soul.

But THIS list… Tunde just won my e-<3. Everything on his list wins… Add in some nickelback for my moody days and a dash of Green Day and we're on it.

1. Flyy says:

Oh! And lemme add just about every track on No Doubt’s The Singles (1992–2003) album… I wore that CD out.

2. :-D see the crazy thing is i grew up listening to nas, jay, big, no limit, outkast etc. i really didn’t branch out into other genres of music until i graduated college. i feel like i missed out on so much during those years.

3. Songs About Jane is such an awesome album. Can’t find a track on there I don’t love to hear.

4. GirlSixx says:

Maroon 5 FTW!!!!
      “Nothing Last Forever” “Sweetest Goodbye” “She will be loved”

Adele
      “Chasing Pavement”

Madonna
      “take a bow” “human Nature” “true blue” “papa don’t preah”

Gwen Stefani
      “Cool” “4am in the morning”

2. Melissa says:

How could you forget Jesse’s Girl and Living on a prayer (my personal fave)?

Iris is an amazing song. Boyz2men covered it but it’s not even close to as good as the GooGoo version.

3. HLBB says:

Oooh.

GNR – Paradise City
    Stones – Paint it Black/ Sympathy for the Devil (go figure)
    Anything Bon Jovi (I think that I was the only Black girl at that concert)
    Hall and Oates – I Can’t Go For That
    INXS – Never Tear Us Apart

I could go on…

4. Yoles says:

wham-careless whisper
    stone temple pilots-creep, dead and bloated & plush
    prodigy-firestarter
    brittany spears-slave & gimme
    dixie chicks-landslide
    queens of the stone age-no one knows
    sia furler and fiona apple all of their songs.. every album

i can list for days

1. Reecie says:

oooh I love me some Wham!

2. CHeeKZ Money says:

landslide is one of the greatest songs ever written.
      I can’t even put into words how real those lyrics are.

5. Renè says:

Norah Jones – Don’t know why
    Any Maroon 5
    Yeah I think Guns and Roses Patience has to be the whistling

6. Alovelydai says:

Your list is pretty darn close to perfection. I’d like to add No Doubt “Don’t Speak”, Alanis Morissette “Univited”, Beetles “Come Together” & “Strawberry Fields” and George Michael’s “Careless Whisper”. I could go on but I’m tired of scrolling through my iPeezy.

1. emti says:

Alanis’ “Uninvited” speaks to my soul and makes me bang my chest

1. keisha brown says:

LOVE uninvited.
        bought the movie soundtrack JUST for that song. (this was before d/l era i presume). lol.

liiiike anyone would be.. i am flattered by your fascination with mee…..

7. Queen – Somebody to Love and Bohemian Rhapsody. Another One Bites the Dust is nice, too.
    RHCP – Scar Tissue
    Green Day – I love love almost everything in their catalog
    Rolling Stones – Start Me Up
    Coldplay – The Scientist and Lost (no Jay-Z)
    Pink Floyd – Another Brick In The Wall
    AC/DC – You Rocked Me All Night Long
    Def Leppard – Pour Some Sugar on Me
    Aerosmith – Dream On
    DMB – Crash, Where Are You Going, Gray Street
    Stevie Nicks – Landslide

I could do this shit all day. LOL. Like the Terminator, I’ll be baack.

1. B_P says:

I love DMB! Crash is my naughty girl song.

2. That Def Leppard – “Pour Some Sugar on Me”? Yessss!!!

8. Malik says:

The Velvet Underground-O’ Sweet Nothin’
    The White Stripes-As Ugly As I Seem
    Passion Pit-Sleepyhead
    John Mayer-Slow Dancing in a Burning Room
    Nancy Sinatra-Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)
    Mayer Hathethowre-Left My Heart in San Francisco
    April March-Chick Habit
    Jim Noir-Tower of Love

9. Honestly, anything by Maroon5 and John Mayer.
    Joss Stone – Spoiled
    Old Aerosmith is amazing
    Take Me The Way I Am – Ingrid Michaelson
    Savage Garden holds a special place in my heart.
    Being from TN, I have a soft spot for good country music. My go-to song right now is Need You Now by Lady Antebellum. If you’ve never heard it, please take a listen. Realest song ever.

10. LaLaBakir says:

Shania Twain- Still The One

No Doubt- Don’t Speak

Nirvana- Smells Like Teen Spirit

3 Doors Down- Kryptonite

Green Day- Boulevard of Broken Dreams

Alanis Moriesette- You Oughta Know

Avril Lavigne- With You

Bline 182- All The Small Things

11. Capricorn says:

Red Hot Chili Peppers
    No Doubt
    Alanis -uninvited
    Rolling Stones-paint it black, as tears go by
    Beatles- help, yesterday, eleanor rigby
    GnR-appetite for destruction cd
    Hall n Oates
    80s hair metal
    Queen
    Bon Jovi-Livin on a Prayer, Its My Life
    Elton John

12. BP says:

I have so many favorites! I really love
    Beetles: Here Comes the Sun, I Want To hold Your Hand
    Bruce Springstien-Philadephia
    Coldplay-Everything! Love them!!!!
    Temper Trap-Sweet Disposition
    Arcade Fire-Wake Up
    Pearl Jam-Just Breathe
    R.E.M-Everybody Hurts
    Guns and Roses-November Rain
    Kings of Leon-Sex on Fire (Max, I think you’d like this one) and Use Somebody
    Mumford and Sons-Little Lion Man
    Brooke Fraser-Something in the Water
    Airborne Toxic Event-Sometime Around Midnight
    Fray- You Found Me, How to Save a Life, Heartless (cover of Kanye’s Heartless but I like theirs better)
    John Mayer-Sleeping with a Broken Heart, Dancing in a Burning Room, Vultures
    White Stripes-Seven Nation Army
    Sara Barielles-Gravity
    Pink-Glitter in the Air ( Almost anything Pink, I heart her!)

R.E.M-Everybody Hurts
      I’m mad I didn’t include this one. But it was TOO many songs to choose from!

2. Nice list. Love that R.E.M., KoL, and The Fray. I Wanna Hold You Hand is one of my goto “happy felling” songs.

13. MsEvaHoney says:

Bonnie Raitt – I cant make you love me
    GNR – November Rain
    Alanis Morrisette- Uninvited and Ironic
    Adele –Rolling in the deep and make you feel my love
    Sugarland- Stay
    Dolly Parton–Little Andy and Coat of many colors
    Rascal flatts- I wont let go
    Anything Phil Collins

Bonnie Raitt – I cant make you love me is another one that definitely should have been on this list. And Melissa Etheridge “Like the Way I Do”. Those two songs are heavy in my daily rotation.

1. melissa says:

i can’t make you love me breaks my heart. love that song.

boyz2men also covered it. that cover is better than the iris cover.

14. Reecie says:

I’m a fan of Iris and Black Hole Sun.

my faves are probably by Coldplay and Aerosmith. I sing “The Scientist” at the top of my lungs and sometimes shed tears. Also Amazing, Don’t Want to Miss a Thing are in regular rotation on my ipod. Also a huge Maroon 5 and No Doubt fan. I was jamming too hard to “Harder to Breathe” on the metro earlier this week.

oh I also totally love Pieces of Me by Ashley Simpson–even though the Rare Essence go go version is better. lol

on the older tip I totally jam to Hall & Oates but I do consider that to be soul music, regardless of their race.

1. Capricorn says:

*daps* on the go go version of POM.

2. “I also totally love Pieces of Me by Ashley Simpson–even though the Rare Essence go go version is better. lol”

The Rare Essence version is the only one I acknowledge.

3. BP says:

I sing “The Scientist” at the top of my lungs and sometimes shed tears.
      ^^^^ I can SO relate! I just love Coldplay. I want to see them in concert badly!

15. Tellylonglegs says:

Honky Hits? I have so many…

-Just about every song on Madonna’s Immaculate Collection album especially La Isla Bonita
    -In the air- Phil Collins
    -Lady in red- Chris de Burgh. This is going to be my theme song when I get my red convertible.
    -Slave for you-Brittney Spears
    -Before he cheats-Carrie Underwood
    -She will be loved-Maroon 5
    -Dirty Little Secrets-All American Rejects
    -Beautiful Day-U2
    -F** it (I don’t want you back)-Eamon
    -(I’ve had) Time of my life-Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes
    -How do I live- LeAnn Rimes
    -One-Harry Nilsson

I have more but this will do.

1. Tellylonglegs says:

I forgot to include Hotel California by the Eagles and I don’t wanna miss a thing by Aerosmith….

2. Reecie says:

yeah I thought about Madge too. the Immaculate Collection is classic material.

Ah! La Isla Bonita! I fucking love that song!

4. Flyy says:

“It’s Britney b*tch…”

5. Cheekie says:

Girl, I KILL Britney’s Slave 4 U. I knew the choreography and shit. Gooood times.

1. GirlSixx says:

Go on girl!!!

16. Liguanea says:

Hotel California – Eagles
    Goodbye Yellow Brick Road – Elton John
    I would do anything for love – Meatloaf
    I need a hero – Bonnie Tyler
    Eye of the Tiger – Survivor
    Teen Spirit – Nirvana (In my opinion, the song that ended the greatest era of rock music)
    November Rain – Guns N Roses
    Strangers in the Night – Frank Sinatra
    Coward of the County – Kenny Rogers
    Yesterday – The Beatles
    Good Vibrations – The Beach Boys
    Crying or Pretty Woman – Roy Orbison
    Dust in the Wind – Kansas
    Anything by Air Supply. For some reason, growing up in Jamaica, these guys were quite popular. Sorry, really popular. Great songs

Hotel California is a big chune!

17. Flyy says:

Because I adore Maxie’s blog and the commenters I’m gonna let ya’ll in on a little secret.

I wanna sing. Lol.

No, not Alicia Keys, Jennifer Hudson style singing… I mean like rock band. Lol. My voice isn’t made for like the sultryness of R&B, but I would literally rock a band. Lol.

#Oversharingdone

1. LaLaBakir says:

LOL!!! I wanna sing too! I’d kill “You Oughta Know” by Alanis M. on some karoke sh*t

1. Cheekie says:

OMG, see my comment below, LaLa. I am putting it on my BUCKET LIST to experience this with you. Duet? ;)

1. keisha brown says:

*inserts self. we soooo finna make this happen! lol.

2. Tellylonglegs says:

I can’t sing but I can karaoke like no other! Lol

**mouths “I’m a slave for you”**

18. Sam Sharpe says:

I can get with w/ Jimi and Janis but everything else on your list leaves me cold. I heard that Pearl Jam tune so much back in the day that I shiver if and when I hear it….

….I have a tune I want to suggest. “American Girl” by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. If you’ve ever been in a (university) bar/pub and seen how white girls get their shake’n’bake on when this tune plays you’d love it too. Classic. I’m about to go listen to it now…

19. BGirl says:

Alright here we go *cracks knuckles*

Journey- Open Arms
    Journey- Don’t Stop Believing
    Lykke Li- A Little Bit
    Clarence Greenwood/Citizen Cope- Sideway (this song makes want to lay on the floor and cry)
    Florence and the Machine-Kiss with a Fist
    John Lennon- Oh my Love
    The Turtles- Happy Together
    Foo Fighters- Let It Die
    Incubus- Warning
    Damien Rice- Volcano, Blower’s Daughter
    Sia- I go to Sleep (and everything else she’s ever done)

It’s a little more contemporary

1. BGirl says:

OH! and Jewel- You were meant for me

2. Cheekie says:

I love Sia’s “I’m In Here”. I even listened to it on the plane just so I can reenact the video. lmao

1. BGirl says:

OMG I had never seen the video. I just changed my life. lol

3. Sam Sharpe says:

Ooooh I love your Lennon and Damien Rice picks!

20. Cheekie says:

The Doors! I first fell in love with The Doors (and Jim Morrison’s sexy ass voice) when I saw the opening montage of “Apolcalypse Now” which featured “The End”. It’s my favorite song of theirs. I remember thinking, wow, this is a trippy ass song! It gets me in that mood of “I don’t give a fuck, lemme just be.” Glorious times.

Others:

Joni Mitchell’s “Both Sides Now” (the remastered one is my favorite. It’s so effing beautiful)

Damien Rice’s “The Blower’s Daughter”, “Cannonball”, and “9 Crimes”

Red Hot Chilli Peppers: “Under the Bridge”

Lulu: “To Sir With Love”

Aerosmith: “I Don’t Wanna Miss A Thing” (I remember in high school, our class president came up with an idea to play songs every morning before the bell rang and this came on and EVERYone started singing like it was a dayum musical. It was one of my favorite high school moments.)

The Beatles: “Come Together”

Kings Of Leon: “Sex On Fire”

Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova: “Falling Slowly” and “When Your Mind’s Made Up” Oh! And “Lies”, too. *swoon*

David Gray: “This Years Love”

Fall Out Boy: “This Ain’t A Scene, It’s An Arms Race” (I went through a serious Fall Out Boy stage… which is funny because I ain’t really like any of those other emo bands. Iol) Also, “Me And You (I’m Like A Lawyer)”

Coldplay: “The Scientist”

Alanis Morrisette: “Hands Clean” and “You Oughta Know” (the latter of which is my karaoke song, bishes!)

Lemme stop here before I spend all day listing shit…

1. Flyy says:

Aerosmith: “I Don’t Wanna Miss A Thing”

This song shakes my SOUL cheekie!! Woooo-lawd!

1. Cheekie says:

*Steven Tyler scream*

2. GirlSixx says:

I love “Crazy”

21. average chick says:

I am so telling my age:

Gold – Spandau Ballet
    If this is it – Huey Lewis and the News
    I’m still standing, Someone Saved my Life Tonight, I guess Why they Call it The Blues – Elton John
    Owner of a Lonely Heart – Yes
    I Can dream about you – Dan Hartman
    Hold Me – Fleetwood Mac
    Once in a Lifetime – Talking Heads
    Mayor of Simpleton – XTC
    De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da, Don’t Stand So Close to Me – The Police
    Fortress Around Your Heart – Sting
    Older – George Michael
    Take a Look at me Now – Phil Collins

1. Capricorn says:

‘take a look at me now is actually Against All Odds. *loves Phil*

I cosign your entire list

22. A few more faves:

Smashing Pumpkins – 1979
    Nirvana – Come As You Are
    Matchbox Twenty – Unwell
    Third Eye Blind – Jumper
    Everclear – Santa Monica
    Elton John – Benny and The Jets
    The Beatles – More Than A Woman

Nirvana Come As You Are is the shit. I’m mad I forgot that one.

2. BP says:

I love Jumper by TEB, forgot aboout that one. Good second list Nia!

23. Sade says:

These were the only ones I could think of but there are MANY more
    No doubt- don’t speak
    Rod Stewart- Have I told you lately
    The police- every breath you take
    UB4U- can’t help falling in love
    Eric clapton- more than words
    Avril lavinge- complicated
    Shania Twain- man I feel like a woman

You win for including Shania on your list because she is Canadian and even I forgot to include any Canadiana on my list.

1. LaLaBakir says:

Excuse me Luv-ah…Shania was first on my list

Oh I’m sorry baby I didn’t notice. Okay YOU win!

2. Sade says:

I almost forgot all american rejects-Gives you hell and I’m not sure if anyone mentioned it already but, kelly clarkson-since you been gone

24. These lists are pretty great.

Queen – Bohemian Rhapsody, Bicycle Race
    Audioslave – Cochise, Shadow On The Sun
    Black Sabbath – Iron Man, Paranoid
    Europe – The Final Countdown
    Coldplay – All of it (“Sparks” holds a special place with me though)
    John Mayer – All of it
    Kings of Leon – Use Somebody, Sex on Fire
    The Fray – How To Save A Life
    Yellowcard – Only One, Ocean Avenue
    DMB – Crash Into Me
    AC/DC – Let The Be Rock (that guitar solo does it for me)

1. Capricorn says:

OMG!! Everytime the bicycle scene comes on How High, I end up singing with him!!

*applause*

The Clash-Hitsville U.K, London Calling
    X-Johnny Hit And Run Pauline
    Jane’s Addiction-Jane Says
    Red Hot Chilli Peppers-Zephyr Song
    Mott The Hopple-All The Young Dudes
    The Psychedelic Furs-Pretty In Pink

27. Creed – One Last Breath and My Own Prison.

1. Dang, I sho’ did forget about Creed.

28. Phil Collins – In the Air Tonight

1. Cheekie says:

I remember when we were kids, my fave cousin randomly said, “I always thought this song is the theme song for Chicago.” I probably never laughed so hard til I cried in my entire life.

It’s a good song, doe. lol

29. Capricorn says:

Phil Collins — Sussudio

there’s a girl that’s been on my miiiiiiiiii nd. Alllll the tiiiime, Suss, Suss Sussudio.. ohh ohhhh…

1. keisha brown says:

ALLLLL things PHIL!!!
      Su-su-SUDIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30. keisha brown says:

this post rocks!
    because you are SO cdn hiphop + all things music..i sometimes forget that you and i had the same childhood!

my school minus well have been (s/o to tyrese) sponsored by the tragically hip. to the point where prom (aka formal) was changed because it conflicted with concert date.

i will not confirm, nor deny that i’ve slept outside for hip tix.

i will add guns n roses (use your illusions I + II,) nirvana, pearl jam and alanis (jagged lil pill) to my rock out list, creep by radiohead, im sure if i thought about it.. i’d add some more. not really honky hits. just channeling my inner rock star. i can confirm getting 100% on rockband for some of these songs.

this post makes me think of scratch + amnesia! LOL.

1. Capricorn says:

did you say creep?

*puts on jeans with the hole in BOTH knees* lol!!

2. MzLlycia says:

Awww lol @ Scratch he’s one of my fav DJs :) his honky hits are classic but you can’t forget his 80s tv show theme sets…I’m pretty sure he’s the only DJ out there that can get away with that

31. BGirl says:

Just a few more and I quit….

Portishead- Sour Times
    Mayer Hawthorne-I wish it would rain
    Jason Mraz-Absolutely Zero
    Hall&Oates- You make my dreams come true

32. Phidelity15 says:

I’m dumb late to the party but my go to list of “you a black girl I didn’t know you listened to that music” to rock out to is:

Paramore – My Heart, Stop This Song, All We Know (true story my sis was singing My Heart to her son in the airport and a bunch of young, white college kids literally stopped in their tracks dumbfounded that she would know or even sing those words to her kid)
    No Doubt- don’t speak, its my life, ex-girlfriend
    Fuel – Hemmorhage
    Incubus – All of their songs esp. Southern Girl, Anna Molly, Drive, Love Hurts and Make Yourself
    DefTones- Change (in the house of flies)
    RHCP- Under the Bridge
    The Killers- Mr. Brightside
    Maroon 5 – Songs About Jane was my joint!!
    annnnd so many more that I really don’t want to list cause I could be here forever

Good Post Max!!

33. NC17 says:

No Nirvana? correction you put a Pearl Jam song over a Nirvana track… smh :(

I was raised in the hood and as much as I owe my life to Dr. Dre’s the chronic, Honky Music is my favorite type of music. Stone Temple Pilots “Big Empty”, Green Day “Welcome To Paradise”, Lynard Skynard “Freebird”, Alanis Morrisette – Anything off of Jagged Little Pill. Hole “violet”. not to mention Madonna, Britney, Shania Twain, and Queen my list would go on for days. Viva your inner White Girl Max.

34. Capricorn says:

Holy crow, I forgot about Paramore?!

Misery Business is my song!! (And Decode, and That’s what you get)

Linkin Park

Peaches – Presidents of the USA
    What if God was One of Us – Joan Osbourne
    All I Wanna Do -Sheryl Crow
    Fly – Sugar Ray
    Zombie – Cranberries
    Thubthumping – Chumbawamba

There are so many more but these are the ones that come to mind!

Lisa Loeb Stay! I forgot about that song! Yes!

37. Yvette says:

My top list:
    1) Californication: Red hot chili peppers
    2) Crystall ball: Pink ( is that chick really white)
    3) Secret: Madonna
    4) Everything: Michael Bubble
    5) Hotel california: The eagles
    6) From this moment: Shania Twain
    7) Love is all around: Wet wet
    8) John Mayer: Wonderland
    9) Eric clapton: Change the world
    10) Byran adams: all of it

38. Capricorn says:

Tears In Heaven. EricClapton

39. Ray. says:

Yall have very good taste, I see most of my favs in here except for some like nickelback’s ‘this is how remind me’ & stained ‘outside’, but I’m book marking this page bc I have a lot….A LOT of catching up to do. I’ve never even heard most of these songs. And only one on max’s list, and that’s stairway to heaven