A Great First Date

20101219-041002.jpg

I don’t date a lot, but I do have some pretty firm ideas of what a good first date should look like – who should pay the man, how long one should wait if the other person is late 5 minutes. 10 if they’re seriously dope, and whether there should be kissing always.

What I’m less clear on is what the ideal first date activity is. As you guys know I have the weirdest eating habits ever, so dinner dates are not exactly conducive to putting my best foot forward. I’m also not a drinker so if the man is the sort to feel awkward about being the only one imbibing, it’s not the best look for him. I hate going to the movies (and have had bad luck with movie dates) so that’s out too. I’m a fan of breakfast dates and coffee dates, but I usually get a major squinty eye when I suggest such things.

Of the dates I’ve been on, many of them have had kind of strange venues. I’ve gone grocery shopping with a man on the first date, been one more than one bookstore date, and I’ve even been on a Shoppers Drug Mart date. Random, I know, but there is something pretty cool to me about taking care of somewhat mundane errands while getting to know someone new. I think it’s easier to get to know someone that way.

I have a theory that the perfect first date is to invite the person over to your house for a meal. It’s perfect – you have privacy so you can get to know each other without distractions, at the beginning when you’re the most nervous you have the meal preparation to take your mind off the nerves. Because you’re staying inside you can dress like a slut don’t have to dress weather-appropriate, and you’re automatically putting yourself in a flattering light by showing off your culinary skills. It should be a win, right?

Sadly this idea has some inherent flaws. For one thing, inviting someone you don’t know well to your house is not the smartest move ever. If you don’t like the guy you can’t pull the “oh I have an emergency” #swindle and leave…you have to find creative ways to kick her out. For ladies, inviting a man to your house do early in the game sets a bad precedent. And of course the likelihood that you’ll bone on the first date increases exponentially when you’re dating chez vous.

All the same I’m still a fan of this plan and have hopes that I’ll one day get to test this theory. It may be the day I get killed Mr. Goodbar-style, but at least I’ll finally know whether I was right.

But tell me what you guys think? Do you agree that the at-home dinner is the greatest first date ever or am I crazy? What’s your foolproof plan for a great first date? Speak on it in the comments.

1. i wouldn’t go to a woman’s house on a first date. maybe that’s just me. actually i would depending on how i imagine the night might end. lol

2. keisha brown says:

skating!! lol…

ok. seriously.. as a woman that lives solo..a dude loses me/major points for inviting himself to my house for a date. cuz that’s not a date but just you trying to find the cheapest place to to phuck me. i’ve also learned my lesson after i developed a stalker that knew where i lived. creeped me out.

i like sporty dates: hit a ball game, going bowling, go-karting..you can chat, flirt, trash talk, see if they are hyper competitive, issue bets etc..

1. Drew-Shane says:

I agree. I like competitive dates to, personally I like to complete.

Dates at the house are okay but not the first date. Maybe on down the line. We can always come to the house after the date, right?? Right!

3. HLBB says:

I’m okay with the mundane tasks…kinda.

But me inviting a man over for a meal sets a really bad precedent. I don’t need to give the impression that I actually ENJOY cooking. Oh hells naw…

Great first date is a walk. Granted, mid December isn’t such a great time, but my last great first date involved a movie, but it was the time wandering before and after that did it for both of us…

4. HLBB says:

I’m okay with the mundane tasks…kinda.

5. Melissa says:

You are crazy. At home on the first date is the worst idea ever. Nevermind the fact that that means he’ll know where I live right away, but there’s nothing worse than being awkward in your own home. It’s Wayyyyy too personal for a first date. And when the name of the game these days is to hold your cards as close as possible for as long as possible, inviting a first date over is not the best idea.

Good first dates are when your doing something to lighten the pressure of being a first date. I had a really good date where we just walked along the lakeshore. We stopped for ice cream, sat on the rocks and chatted, it was nice and easy. I also had a good one at Dave and busters. I thought it was a cheesy idea at first but it ended up being really good. We talked over dinner and then when we ran out of things to talk about, we played games.

6. Melissa says:

7. Starita34 says:

I’m with Keisha and Drew. An activity is THE best date IMO. The dorkier, the better. Go-carts, bowling, putt putt (I LOOOOVE putt putt!), batting cages, dominoes, laser tag, public service, horseback riding (lol, as IF I’ve ever gone horseback riding on a first date, but I’d like to!), you get the point…having an activity to focus on besides asking questions interrogation style makes for so much better conversation.

I LURVE at home dates as well, but I live in the real world. A world in which most men believe that you are DTF if you ever allow yourself to be alone with them; where women that aren’t difficult, are easy; where if they don’t have to “work for it” it’s not worth having. Also I get attached easily, so a first date in such an intimate setting is a bad idea for me as well. Plus if things go well, we’ll have many nights to stay in together, let him wine and dine you for a bit.

The mundane task date is a win as well, I think. The only caveat again being that I get attached easily and have that crazy woman gene; so I would be thinking how wonderfully banal this date is and would instantly begin picturing our beautiful ordinary life together…I told you I was a little crazy…

Ahhh, that reminded me of “Ordinary” by Wayne Brady…that’s all I want, I swear. My gift to you, happy Monday http://youtu.be/WUvfxcAUtaQ (It’s not 3 in the morning is it!?!? Damn!)

8. Nick@Nite says:

We already know why no one is coming up in my house..
    I love you Max, but I ain’t cookin JACK! suppose he’s got strange allergies, or dietary requests? I don’t want that kinda stress..

I haven’t really been on a date in some years. I’m a movie freak, so movie dates are fine with me, but I see what people mean by not talking and you don’t get to know the person. I actually like dates outside. A drive to Ft. Lauderdale and walking by the Riverfront. Or the movies in the park thing that my area does. Since it’s hardly cold down here (hate me now) dressing weather appropriate is simple.

I do like Keisha’s idea of something competitive. I once went to Dave and Buster’s for my birthday and played this trivia game. Once I blew him away (pause) he gave me props for the rest of the night. That’s my kinda night..
    I don’t need anything major.. I just want something simple. And if the date showed some thinking on his part, that’s even better.

1. Starita says:

Nick’s dropping gems – thought on his part is PARAMOUNT to a successful date. No doubt.

9. Alovelydai says:

I would never think of going on an errand run date but I kinda like it. How does that work? Do you say “hey I have to pick up my dry cleaning & stop at the grocery store…you wanna go?” People actually say yes to this? I have questions.

1. Starita says:

I would. You gotta ask yourself, what’s the point of dating? Of the first date? …for me, it’s getting to know the person, developing a friendship, determining if you want to spend any more mental or physical energy developing a relationship with this person…what were the first few things you did to get to know your friends? Most likely spent time together doing random things (in a group of mutual friends or in class or some other shared interest), not trying to out impress each other at fancy meals and lavish excursions that only ONE of you paid for…

I’m SO down for the errand date…but that could be one of my problems…as I remain perpetually single…

1. keisha brown says:

i had a great 1st date with a dude this summer:
        met at major intersection of the city. lol
        went go-karting
        after 1st round, went for walk in park, sat on picnic benches and chatted
        decided to come back another day for 2nd round
        drove around looking for someplace to eat
        randomly popped into winners (aka tj maxx/marshalls)
        went to dinner

that was the best 1st date in the history of kb’s 1st dates. it was spontaneous, fun, well planned and executed. he even tried to be a gentleman at the end of the date and gave me a sweet peck on cheek. i quickly rectified that! ;)

1. Starita says:

<3 <3 <3 <3

I'm so conflicted, the jealousy welling up in my bowels is barely bested by my happiness for your outstanding date! ;-)

Seriously that sounds lovely! It really doesn't take much…really guys…

1. keisha brown says:

LOL.
            honestly.. it was EPIC!!
            i think the fun part about the shopping was just seeing someone in their element. i told him, i’m going to purses then shoes then will come find him in mens. it was soo couple-y and comfortable.
            ugh. i miss that dude.

1. Starita says:

“just seeing someone in their element. i told him, i’m going to purses then shoes then will come find him in mens. it was soo couple-y and comfortable.”

And therein lies the danger!! Comfort=Kryptonite to me…if you don’t really like me, don’t take me on a “comfortable” date, I will fall. Hard.

1. keisha brown says:

yeah. he had me at hello.
                too bad i had to let him go.
                see max’s previous post about the dude that is ‘too busy’.
                sigh.

10. Deeds says:

I would never have an at home first date. I don’t even want a guy to pick me up from my house for the first date. I don’t want a mofo knowing where I live cuz he could turn out to be a crazy psycho stalker kinda guy and I wouldn’t want someone like that knowing where I live. Since I have had a date with the aforementioned guy I took comfort in knowing that at least he didn’t know where I lived. He only called me everyday from different numbers and left crazy text and voicemail messages on my phone.

An errand date, I think I went on something kinda like that, but I ain’t like it. I went with a guy to the mall. I ended up watching him shop for himself. He got a nice watch and a new pair of kicks but wasn’t my idea of a good time.

I like others peoples idea above, like an activity date

11. Great post Max.

As most of you who know me very the blogsphere know, I’m pretty old fashioned when it comes to dating, especially early on, so, while a first date at a woman’s house isn’t totally out of the question for me, I would, at the very least wonder to myself how many men she’s had over her house for a first date.

I love conversation and, I could not see myself with anyone who wasn’t a great conversationalist, so for me, going out to dinner is the best possible first date I could possibly imagine. I like active dates, and creative dates and all that good stuff, but, before we get to any of that, I want to know if I can talk to you. Now, for someone with a peculiar diet like Max, I’d probably have to put a little more thought into it. Were I a single man courting Max, I’d probably take her to a Knick game. From conversations, I’d know she likes sports, and a Knick game, at the garden is chill enough for us to have decent conversation, but exciting enough to also have a good time. I would still want to go some place where we could really talk though afterward.

12. LaLaBakir says:

No dude is coming over my house for a first date. Nuh uh, do way. Besides, I would have to actually like you for me to cook for you.

A great first date for me would be any of the following:

-Dinner…I likes to try new foods. A dope restaurant or venue…or some place where we can cook the food…that would be hot.

-Activities…bowling, skating, hoops…I’m a competitive muthaflower and I like that kind of stuff.

-Concert or show…gives ya something to talk about afterwards

- A picnic…I only been on one once, and that was w/ my friends for my b-day. It was nice, but I think it would be cool on some date ish too.

1. B_P says:

I like your new pic LaLa…sexy, cute! Also cosignage on the picnic idea. I have never been on a date picnic with a new beau. I love that!

1. LaLaBakir says:

Thanks honey bunny!!! I need you to email me so we can keep in touch about Cali. I get emails about flight sales all day er’day

1. B_P says:

You are welcome sweets! Drop me your e-mail addy. I have been thinking about you the other day and how we need to plan your trip here! It is going to be so much fun… Cali here you COME! Also, we can talk about another upcoming trip via email that way the overworld won’t slice me.

1. LaLaBakir says:

Yeah, we almost were about to be swimming w/ the e-fishes after that last slip up

blountc0506@gmail.com

The overworld is always watching….

1. LaLaBakir says:

*cue dramatic drums*

2. Starita says:

How about we have this art museum here that has this huge, gorgeous courtyard and I literally have fantasized about a GD date taking me there, walking the halls, chatting, discussing the art, laughing, getting to know each other, having a picnic in the sprawling, lush courtyard…did I mention the art museum is free, we’re bringing our own food, it’s sounds IDEAL for us both…have I ever gotten this dream date? NO! Did my past Him confess that he’s taken other women on this dream date of mine. YES!

<—Looking a lot like Lot's wife.

1. LaLaBakir says:

*day dreams* That date sounds perfect! Everything about it is a win!

At the end of the day, I’m impressed by thought and effort. I went bike riding this summer, and though it killed my tush (I don’t know who’s a$s those seats are made for)…it was thoughtful w/o being extra. I had a nice time and I got a great workout! And I RIPPED dinner afterwards,lol

2. keisha brown says:

@Starita,
        Where are you? Sounds alot like the Art Institute in Chicago. The courtyard is GORGEOUS!!!

1. Starita says:

I’m in KC, the Nelson Atkins Art Museum is a #win!

The birdies in the yard are a bit “ummm, ok”…but the shear scale of the museum and the vibrancy of the courtyard seriously make me giddy.

http://bit.ly/g4CKtF Some pics…

1. keisha brown says:

that looks AMAZING!!
            it prob hosts alot of weddings… (that’s the event planner in me talking. EVERYWHERE is a potential event venue). lol.

1. Starita says:

KEISHA! EVACUATE MY HEAD POSTHASTE or throw me some rent money, either way I’m cool!!!

There is this section inside that is a replica of an old Greek courtyard that SCREAMS wedding to me! And seriously, I’ve NEVER (til that day) thought one thought about my wedding day…my marriage? Every day. The ceremony? Once, in that courtyard. It is BREATHtaking. *sigh* Why am I all amped right now? *smh* Ridiculous…

1. keisha brown says:

LMAOOO.
                Girl.. EVERYWHERE I go.. i think about what kind of event I could throw there.
                Can’t take me ANYWHERE! But it’s also part of what makes me good at what I do I suppose. I fell in LOVE with Chicago’s Art Institute.
                apparently..im not the only one!

13. B_P says:

My first date with my ex-fiance was at his home and he cooked dinner. Now, let me first say that I would not have done this if we did not have mutual friends that we were both close to. He also was a member of the same church as me so I wasn’t worried about him locking me up in his closet or raping me like the lady in “For Colored Girls” trying to harm me. His spaghetti was delectable (the best I still have ever had), we played scrabble and I barely won which was a good thing. He talked to like 2 in the morning and I went home impressed. He was a gentleman, could cook, had a vocabulary that would make Webster proud and had a nice clean bachelor pad. I don’t see a problem with a first date at my place if the situation was similar/safe. I love to cook and entertain people and I would make it VERY clear we were not going to be thronxing.

Ideally my first dates are usually something outdoorsy and I try to take advantage of our nice Cali weather i.e.: hiking, bike riding, beach making outvisiting and we get a meal in some how.

1. Starita says:

LOL, anyone else notice that men’s go-to dish is spaghetti? :-) That made me smile…

I can’t be mad at any of your date ideas, even the first date with ex fiance; under those circumstances it seemed to be very appropriate. In general, I’m still anti “why don’t you swing by my crib” on a first date, but there are exceptions to every rule.

2. LaLaBakir says:

Awww! That was cute!

And yes, that scene from “For Colored Girls” made me a shook one. Mobb Deep.

1. keisha brown says:

co-sign @ La La.
        I do have that scene in mind now when arranging for a date with a new dude.

1. LaLaBakir says:

So scary that you may not be safe in your own home :(

1. keisha brown says:

i know. at what point to you trust your instincts vs becoming paranoid?
            i TOTALLY didnt see that scene coming.
            the sad part..if you invite someone into your home, and you get assaulted, the justice system is still going to blame YOU.

1. LaLaBakir says:

I didn’t see it coming either!!! He seemed so nice. That sh*t was very sobering. A thin line between being “smart”/cautious and overly paranoid…but that’s the world we live in.

Do you know they put ankle bracelets on new borns?!! I went to visit my sis and niece after she had her and I’m like “wtf?!!” People really steal babies! My friend just had a baby too, and as they were leaving the hospital the elevator shut down and security approached them. Apparently their baby’s “bracelet” was lost in the snow suit and activated, so they thought they were trying to take the baby.

Sorry about the rant, I just can’t believe the world we live in sometimes.

1. keisha brown says:

WHATTTTTTTT?????? ON BABIES????
                I cant have kids. I mean.. that’s the world we live in?? People stealing BABIES????
                This makes me incredibly sad.

2. B_P says:

I actually did see that scene coming. Something about how he smiled slyly after dropping her off at her place had me thinking he was up to no good. I usually don’t let a man know where I live until we have known each other for awhile and his back ground check comes back clear.

1. LaLaBakir says:

I noticed that too…but I didnt think he was gonna rape her for Pete’s Sake!

3. My friend was switched at birth…The nurse brought her mom the wrong baby. They found out before she left the hospital though. What if she never questioned it?

3. Kema says:

As soon as I read this I thought about the FCG rape scene. Nope not coming to my place and I’m not going to yours.

Lets do something fun. I like Activity dates. Pool w drinks, bowling w drinks, or Dave n Busters w drinks. lol! The drinks of course makes it less tense… but cant drink too much!

You ever have to wait for a guy to finish vomiting? lol!

1. B_P says:

Vomiting on the FIRST date? Uggggghhh, thats nasty. Lilwayne

2. “As soon as I read this I thought about the FCG rape scene”

I said the same thing.

14. ChloeRayne516 says:

A house date as a 1st date is NOT the BizNess simply because #1 I don’t know him like that to invite him into my personal space and to know where I live (stalkers are real yall!!!!) #2 To me that is Cheap, Cheezy, Unimaginative – - I mean really, cuz you know ole boy WILL/IS gonna try you and #3 I repeat; I don’t know him like that to invite him into my personal space and to know where I live – - that’s not safe in this day and age, yeah I know this is the era of recession dating but Fcuk all that if he can’t afford to take you out for date numero uno then HE shouldn’t be dating in the first place.

15. “It may be the day I get killed Mr. Goodbar-style, but at least I’ll finally know whether I was right.”

**DEAD** literally… “Did you see For Color Girls?” Heck-2-da-naw, and that was a 2nd date.

I would not invite a man to my house for a first date. I’m sure you’re a good judge of character, but I wouldn’t take the chance. And if you don’t like him after the first date, he definitely doesn’t need to know where you live.

But not sure about a “perfect first date”. I think it’s a matter of the person you’re with. Sure, different circumstances can make it a little difficult. But if you’re enjoying the company and get to the end of the date and still what a 2nd date, then that makes it perfect. Maybe not as memorable as you would like, but still perfect.

I think the reason I like this idea is that I have never seen For Colored Girls.
    Thanks everyone for ruining the movie for me

1. Alovelydai says:

Ditto. I haven’t seen the movie either. Now I probably won’t. I watch enough L&O SVU.

2. keisha brown says:

well..umm.. see.
      yeah.. sorry.
      but it’s only ONE scene. and frankly..not even the worst.

3. B_P says:

Max, sorry about revealing the FCG storyline. But honestly I do not think it is a bad idea to have a first date at your home. Do you have to trust your womanly instincts? YES. Do there have to be special mitigating factors i.e. you knew him for awhile, mutual friends, coworkers, etc, etc? YES. But truth is a woman can get assaulted on their 7th date, or by their boyfriends and/or husbands. I’m not saying people should bring Joe Schmo all up in their house….I know you are smarter than that BAWSE.

17. The thing is, I agree with the at home date. Maybe not on the first date but, hell, why not? The thing is we’re so sexualized as a society that people automatically think house date=sex. If people checked their assumptions at the door there would be no problem with the at home date. Personally, I LOVE to cook so I’d have no problem whipping up something for two.

1. B7 says:

I totally agree :-)

18. B7 says:

I love first dates. I love firsts :-).

Ladies (and gents) thank you for the great first dates ideas. I’ve had some pretty nice ones but I agree that the best ones are the ones that allow both parties to talk comfortably. I like sitting across from someone and talking, that way you see their face.
    As for the at home dinner dates. I absolutely love to cook!!! In college I would have dinner parties just so that I could cook for a group of people. My mom had me cooking for the family at the age of 11. It’s hard cooking for just myself because I’m use to cooking for a family. I’ve definitely had dinner dates at my place. Not too much and not as a first date (and se x is never what’s for dessert after dinner dates, well at least not the first few ;-D). But usually when I have a guy over for dinner I’ve known him for awhile or we have mutual friends in common.

19. KAPSpecial says:

It’s arbitrary, but I’d prefer not to have any house dates until after the 3rd date. I just like to reserve the house for later dates after we’re more comfortable with one another. That whole after the meal couch situation can be a mess.

I like dinner dates. I’m a foodie and it allows conversation as someone else mentioned. Once I went to a charity casino nite with a guy friend, but I thought it would have made a great date. We dressed up, we got to gamble with fake chips, there was a silent auction, really great food, and a good cause. So now I’m a fan of charity event dates. Who doesn’t like a guy with a heart?!?!

I once had a first date where we went to his elementary school cousin’s basketball game (game was like 35mins), a comedy club and then had dessert. I prefer not to make family introductions early and although I met his aunt and uncle at the game it wasn’t the same as meeting his mother on the first date. The comedy club was fun, who doesn’t like to laugh and we talked between sets. Then we talked more over dessert (if I didn’t like how the date was going I would have graciously declined dessert). I really enjoyed myself.

20. Pingback: A Great First Date
  21. Funms says:

I have a habit of having first dates at mine….my last ex, i invited him over for dinner and he brought the wine….it went really well…..good conversation, food and we played Wii after….he was a gentleman (well he changed after that’s why he is an ex…#myopinion)

I have another first date this weekend and i’ve invited him over for dinner…..hope it goes well
    I am more comfortable that way…..

22. Funms says:

Note: the dates i invite to mine are people i probably meet through friends and i’ve been seeing around so i know they are not dangerous

23. OulalaBohemianRhapsody says:

Having meals at home is the best! I agree!! It gives you a chance to see what he’s like around the domestic chore business.

I just had the best first extended date ever with a new sexy man I met over Christmas.
    We met at a party and had one night stand, in which I never expected to see him again. You see, call me judgemental, but he’s French and very sexy and spontaneous. I never expect to ever hear from him again (although he asked for my number).

To my skepticism and surprise, he messaged me the next day and asked me out to have organic ice-cream (and mind you we are both 31 years old!) and to go on an easy bike ride with him (come to think of it, that is very french, non?). The ice-cream place is equal distance from where he and I live but he made it the point to pick me up.

Then the date followed by him taking me to a party he had committed to earlier that week and then he ended staying at my place. In the morning we made breakfast, he cooked lunch, cleaned the dishes and made home-made dessert which was french merringue layered with vanilla ice-cream and strawberry compote!!!!!

I am not sure what is going on here because he told me he does not want to be in a relationship right now but he comes to see and stay with me 6 days in a row including Christmas day (and left because he has to be out of town for a week)! He’s met my housemates and not shy to show his affection. It is amazing.

So there you have it my idea of the perfect first date that actually happened.
    I am sure many ladies here would agree it sounds like he hits all the right notes for a damn good date. Maybe gentlemen take notes???

I love you site Max. I just discovered it and I am doing a back-reading! Thanks so much for great articles.

24. OulalaBohemianRhapsody says:

So there you have it my idea of the perfect first date that actually happened.

25. Dating Tips says:

Really nice information on this blog..I will share it to my group.An also share on g+ and twitter.

26. Dating Tips says:

Really nice information on this blog..

27. Dating Tips says:

I will share it to my friends..I like this blog very much..