Drink Away the Pain

Mobb_Deep_-_The_Infamous-front

I had a really bad day yesterday. I wasn’t feeling well, someone stole my lunch, Lala tried to steal Cheekz from me and one of my account executives kept coming to my desk rather than using the many non-verbal methods of communication that are available to him should he wish to contact me. My post went up late and I didn’t have a bagel for breakfast. Plus PMS has turned me into a raging bitch. By about 3:30pm I was ready to explode.

When I get like this – which by the way is not often – there is really only one thing to do: put on my headphones and listen to Drink Away the Pain on repeat. As soon as I hear “I used to be in love with this bitch named E&J” I can feel the irritation starting to drain away. By the time I get to “Guess took the jigga, and jigged her in the gut”. I no longer feel like taking a jigga and jigging someone myself.

It’s no secret to anyone who knows me even a little that I love Mobb Deep. This is my go-to group any time I need a little pick me up or calm me down. Every life experience is a little better if Havoc + Prodigy are whispering sweet nothings to me in the background.

I listen to this in the morning to get me ready for my day:

If I feel like life is getting the better of me I listen to this:

The rare times in life that I actually work out I listen to this while doing cardio. It’s the only thing that stops me from wanting to juk out my own eye in boredom.

After a particularly exhausting phone call with my mum I usually put this on:

And now that this has been restored to my library (it somehow went missing and I couldn’t find it on itunes) this is the soundtrack of my workday:

And of course when I’m ready to shank someone, since I cannot literally drink the pain away I have this:

The poetical prophets have saved me from myself more times than I can count.  If you don’t have any Mobb Deep in your life get off my blog get caught up.

What about you guys? Do you use music to lift your spirits? Do you have a go-to artist to stop you from cutting Suki a bitch? Share in the comments.

1. ivplay says:

**clapping Hands** Great Post

2. stephanie says:

My go to are: B.I.G, Jay Z, Tupac, and NWA but word to the wise don’t start off with NWA you will catch a case be warned

One thing my library is sorely lacking is NWA. I think all I have is “Express Yourself”. That’s a fail on my part.

1. LaLaBakir says:

I don’t have any NWA either. But I think it’s for the best, I may seriously catch a case listening to that,lol

3. LaLaBakir says:

Awww Max, I said I was sorry. That low down dirty CHeeKZ…I didn’t know he was e-spoken for.

Anyways thumbs up to the Mobb. I just did a post last week on my Mood Music http://earsandlps.blogspot.com/2010/10/mood-music-lalas-edition.html

When I’m feeling some type of way, my go to album is Nas “It Was Written”. The song “Shootouts” stays on repeat. Some other joints I go to are O.D.B “Brooklyn Zoo” and Method Man’s “Release Yo Delf”

When I’m depressed about work, Kanye’s “Spaceship” STAYS on repeat. *youtube’s it right now*

Brooklyn Zoo is a good one. That song makes me laugh every time I hear it.
      I of course have never heard Spaceship. I’m going to YouTube it now.

1. LaLaBakir says:

*big gasp*

Oh Maxie, you must let me know what you think of “Spaceship”!

Ohhh I know this song! I had completely forgotten about it.

2. CHeeKZ Money says:

Can I remind everyone about max’s comments about being in an open relationship?

Are we allowed to open her little black book and see who she has been flirting with off the air???!!

I’m not the only one to get around
      #2pac

You’re right my love. But it’s much more interesting to talk about what you do than to talk about what I do.

4. Sukez says:

Whoaaaaaa. Why am I gonna be cut? Yall n*ggas got it twisted, huh?

I mind my business. :-( hmph

Oh Sukez I was only kidding. It was a reference to the days when I used to threaten to cut you daily. I would never cut you now.

1. Sukez says:

Good! I felt like

Plus… I’ve been behaving. Changing, like you did (from an old post). It’s hard to believe :( Imisssex

5. Nick@Nite says:

I don’t listen to rap like that..
    When I’m in a mood, I have different playlists.. Although my go-to is Kweli..

Also, Maxwell.. He suits my “Groove mood” very well.. when I wanna calm down, relax, pretend i’m driving a convertible in 80 degree sunshine.. all that!

I don’t know much mobb deep and of course, because my computer is just that bad, I can’t hear any of it..
    my technology situation is just sad…

I’m glad Mobb Deep calmed you the hell down though.. Whatever gets the job done..

6. Sukez says:

My go to’s are random: Got it Twisted, Ante Up, Get it on the floor, Come Thru (Move), and more.

1. Sukez says:

Also Protect Ya Neck, Don’t make me kill (bmore club music), I’m back (TI), You don’t know me…

7. streetztalk says:

Salute to M.O.B.B!!! #QUEENS

50 Cent music helped me through abreakup once, lol…

but I listen to Jay when i want to feel cocky/confident, Yeezy when I feel like I need to be creative or everyones against me, Nas when I want to remind myself of humble beginnings or overall passion, Drake/Wayne when Im feelin braggadocious, Joell Ortiz when Im feelin lyrical, then I have Miscellaneous cats to listen too…

Def West Coast Music when im feelin pimpish, lol…

8. CHeeKZ Money says:

People get on my for liking M.O.B.’s infamy album. But Burn is a great track to me and the way Vida’s voice brings such a nice sweet sexy balance to a hard track.

“Stupid Mother Fu&#ers when will they ever learn”

That track is hard man. That was a decent album in the mist of all that Ja Rule B.S. that was going on back in the day. Mobb Deep always seem to have a classic song on deck when needed. Not just a good song, but a classic.

I need some real hiphop in my life I stick to album highlights from some greats:

Lupe – Hip Hop saved my Life
    Talib Kweli – Get By remix
    Mos Def – Know That
    Roots – Can’t Stop This (which always finds it way to any list of great hip hop songs I love)
    Talib and Jean Grae Black Girl Pain
    Nas – If I Ruled the World Part 2
    and maybe J Cole – I Get Up.

just good rapping.

9. I like hip-hop, but I never listen to it when I’m in a funky mood. Hip-hop isn’t happy enough, and isn’t upbeat enough to change my mood. I listen to Frankie Beverly & Maze-Happy Feelings when I’m in a funk. Queen’s We Are the Champions and Bohemian Rhapsody always puts me in a good mood. Basically, I listen to everything but hip-hop when I’m feeling some kind of way. Though, I listen to Kanye and Weezy tough when I’m really feeling myself. lol. “Know one (wo)man should have all that power.” Good Life, Can’t Tell Me Nothing, and Got Money are still 3 of my go-to jams.

10. Cheekie says:

Um, you got me sitting here getting geeked over Mobb Deep’s “Quiet Storm” is alls I gotta say, Max! That is my ish! Beat goes so hard in the paint…it goes hard in the entire paint section in Home Depot, matter of fact.

11. Iceburg says:

mine tracks/artist are
    NWA (anything from Dr. Dre/Ice Cube/Westside Connection/K-Dee/mack 10 (early stuff)
    For sure Deep Cover 187…
    Run Dmc (Raising Hell and the stuff before)
    Scarface the Fix album or The Dairy.
    Geto Boyz
    Dj Quik
    Kurupt (Streetz iz a Mutha)